Following the 1841 election, the Ordnance Survey (OS) carried out a survey of the local administrative boundaries for Great Britain which was completed by 1888. The boundary between the parish of Langham and its neighbouring parishes of Ashwell, Burley, Oakham Deans Hold with Barleythorpe, Cold Overton (Leicestershire) and Whissendine was surveyed between 1878 and 1883.See the interactive parish boundary map and view the survey book pages.Each parish appointed its own ‘Meresman’ who had considerable local knowledge, to work colaboratively with the OS surveyor (usually a military engineer) and Meresmen from the adjoining parishes to agree, rather than impose, the boundary and record the results in survey books now held by the National Archives.Thomas Nettleship was the Meresman and Assistant Overseer for the Parish of Langham and he collaborated with John S. Egan a member of the Royal Engineers. Meresmen from the surrounding parishes were: John Tidd - Ashwell, C.J. Bradshaw - Burley, John Carter - Cold Overton, R.S Hayr - Oakham Dean’s Hold with Barleythorpe and John Green - Whissendine.Many of these areas had been in place for hundreds if not thousands of years. This work created the first comprehensive cartographical record for the UK.Langham is fortunate to have a number of detailed plans/maps of its Manor/Parish with the earliest dated 1624. This was prepared to allow the Noel family, the estates new owners, to see who held which fields and properties and the income derived from leases.No plan of the open fields has yet been found but Terriers from 1605, 1618 & 1628 help to identify the fields, who farmed where, and to decide when open fields became enclosed.A second large map from 1760, although badly damaged, provides very detailed information down to individual trees and in 1841 the tithe map and its apportionments update the situation.