The Village Name Langham Village History Group
Meaning long village, Langham owes its origins to the Anglo Saxons, though Bronze, Iron Age and Roman remains have been found within the parish. As part of "Oakham Soke", the village’s connections with the town of Oakham, two miles to the south, are long established. The Domesday Book records Oakham as having five hamlets of which, it is likely, Langham was one. Being largely Royal property, Langham was given by successive kings to various favoured families. It was granted to Thomas Cromwell by King Henry VIII and the Cromwell family owned Langham until 1600 when it was sold to Sir Andrew Noel. The Manor of Langham remained in the Noel family until 1925 when the sale of the Gainsborough estates took place.
Langham Village History Group
Langham Village Web Site