Chapels Langham Village History Group
In the Middle Ages, Bishop Dalderby of Lincoln (1300-1328) granted an indulgence for the construction of the Chapel of the Hermitage and between 1320 and 1327 successive Hermits named John de Norton and John de Warrewyck were granted royal protection in seeking alms throughout the country. In 1393, Pope Boniface IX issued an indulgence from Perugia, relaxing penance on penitents who made a pilgrimage and gave alms for the repair of St. Helen’s Chapel. [This was a recognised way of raising money for church purposes at that time.] Whether St Helen’s was the same as the Chapel of the Hermitage, and where either of them were is not known. It is recorded that some skeletons were dug up at Langham in 1825 in a small close which had been "known for many centuries as Chapel Close". 29, Church Street was a thatched Methodist Chapel before conversion to a cottage. There was a Primitive Methodist (formerly Wesleyan) chapel in Bridge Street opposite the yard of the Noel Arms. In 1908 the Trustees of the chapel asked for sanction "to sell the chapel and cottage at Langham. Proceeds to be devoted to the payment of existing debts of £75." The reasons given for the request were: We find it utterly impossible to gather and maintain a society The village is small, there being not more than 500 people residing in the neighbourhood The village is well supplied by Baptist and Episcopalian churches It is not more than two miles from Oakham - the head of the station The chapel became Mr. Stacey’s shop, now demolished. The Baptist Chapel On July 21st 1853 a piece of pasture land, one rood and thirty eight perches, with a right of way, ten feet broad, from a gate erected at the North side to run to the East side of the cottage, was sold by James and William Cross to Thomas Swingler. The Chapel was built during 1854 and opened on Thursday June 21st 1855. An Indenture was made on the 16th December 1856 to: John Hubbard of Langham - Maltster Thomas Riley of Langham - Grazier Thomas Swingler of Langham - Farmer Frank Riley of Stamford - Butcher They were admitted tenants to the land and to the Baptist Chapel. The premises to be used as a place of public religious worship, by Calvinistic Baptists. Sources: Langham and Barleythorpe - David Tew Records of Langham Primitive Methodist Chapel 1891-1909, LRO Stamford Mercury Archives
Langham Village History Group
Langham Village Web Site