The Midland Railway Company (MR)30th June1845Royal Assent to Midland Railway Act.27th July1846Oakham Canal Company purchased by the Midland Railway Co.1846Building started on the Syston - Peterborough Line (Midland Railway Co.)1st May 1848Syston. Peterborough line opened. Stations in Rutland - Whissendine 1 (1955), Ashwell (1966), Oakham, Manton (1966), Luffenham (Also used by L&NW - 1966), Ketton (Also used by L&NW - 1966).No station in Langham Parish.1st March 1880Manton - Kettering line opened. Stations in Rutland – Manton (1966). Welland Valley crossed by Seaton Viaduct - 1286 yds long, 69 ft. high, 82 arches of 40 ft. span, clear width 24 ft. 16 million bricks used in construction. This line is now used for freight traffic with occasional main line passenger diversions.The London and North Western Railway (L&NW)1st June 1850Rugby- Peterborough line opened. Stations in Rutland - Luffenham Junction (MR – 1966), Morcott (1966), Seaton Junction (1966) , Rockingham for Caldecott2 (1966).1859Seaton - Yarwell Junction opened. Stations in Rutland - Wakerley [Northamptonshire] and Barrowden3 [Rutland] (1966).1st October 1894Uppingham Branch opened. Stations in Rutland - Seaton (1966), Uppingham (1960).The Great Northern Railway (GN)15th July1852Peterborough - Grantham line opened. Stations in Rutland - Essendine (1959). This line runs through the eastern tip of RutlandThe Stamford and Essendine Railway (S&E)November1856Stamford - Essendine line opened. Stations in Rutland - Essendine (1959), Ryhall and Belmesthorpe (1959). This railway was leased by GN in 1893 and taken into the LNER at grouping in 1923.1Village of Whissendine is in Rutland. Whissendine Station was about 2.5km north of the village, which was sufficient to place it over the county border into Leicestershire.2The village of Caldecott is in Rutland. Rockingham Station was on the immediate outskirts Caldecott on the Rockingham road, which placed it over the county border into Northamptonshire.3This station was located in Northamptonshire and served the two villages on opposite side of the River Welland, which is the county boundary.NB. Dates in italic after a station name show the year of closure.
Langham Village History Group
Middle section of the Seaton/Harringworth Viaduct with flooded Welland beneath